Chicago, Illinois Legal Malpractice Attorney
Attorney Mark Standa zealously represents clients in Legal Malpractice claims. Many lawyers will not take Legal Malpractice claims against fellow lawyers, but Mr. Standa has had experience both defending lawyers and suing lawyers and their law firms in malpractice claims, so he knows the types of acts or omissions that can produce Legal Malpractice. In addition, Mr. Standa has successfully defended various lawyers and law firms in legal malpractice actions.
A few of the more common types of law suits for Legal Malpractice involve:
- Failure to file a suit before the Statute of Limitations expires
- Failure to add necessary parties
- Failure to advise the client of a valid settlement offer
- Settlement of a lawsuit without the client's permission
- Failure to conduct adequate legal research before providing advice
- Incompetent drafting of legal documents
- Misappropriation of client funds
- Inadeguate preparation for trial
The above failures are usually caused by: 1) lack of experience in the area of law; 2) legal complexity exceeds lawyer's competence; 3) general incompetence, produced by age or drugs; 4) criminal behavior. For more information, see Professional Liability.